Glaucoma Research & Eye Hospital by BECS

Glaucoma Research and Eye Care Hospital (GREH) run by Bangladesh Eye Care Society (BECS), located in Mirpur, Dhaka. Since 2002, To date BECS has treated 25,051 patients.  With NABIC’s contribution BECS build a new Hospital building, provides regular eye care at low cost, identifies eyesight problems, and aims to prevent blindness from glaucoma.

NABIC is helping GREH in primarily 2 ways – donations in cash for constructions of Phase-1 of the new building as well as by providing specialized equipment.

So far NABIC has donated $250k (USD quarter million) or in BDT 194,40,150 for constructions out of total constructions cost of BDT 272,55872 or over 70% of the civil work costs for the constructions (the rest 30% or BDT 71,70,000 was raised locally with individual and institutional donors).  With the generous financial contributions from NABIC supporters NABIC was able to fulfill its commitment to build the 1st phase of the GREH.

NABIC contributed over $100K to BECS for specialized equipment. The following equipment was donated by NABIC which are still in use and greatly helping GREH to run its daily tests and serve patients.

  • Field Machine
  • Biometry Machine (A/B Scan etc.)
  • Auto Refractometer
  • Operations Micro-scope
  • Slit Lamp
  • Phaco machine worth $50K (donated in 2014.)

By helping GREH, NABIC’s contribution is going directly to the ultra-poor patients who otherwise would not have access to quality health care for eye for both prevention and treatments. The day care patients mostly are from the local community of Mirpur-1 of Dhaka while the operating patients also include patients from different community as well as from villages around the country where patients come for operations particularly during free (sponsored by members or institutions) or low cost eye camps.

These poor patients have direct impact on their life with the eye care and surgeries. It not only helps them to prevent blindness from many diseases particularly from glaucoma (but also other diseases) but also helps them to be active in life and make living.

Recently NABIC provided Phaco machine to the GREH. In future, with the help of Phaco machine GREH would be able to offer the state of the art surgeries to the poor patients which are mainly available to the rich in Bangladesh. Also, for the Phase-2 of the constructions GREH is looking for funding from donors and complete remaining work of the 9 story hospital building.

Average rating  1 2 3 4 5You must login to vote
GREH Appre...
GREH Patie...
Highly Spe...
Newly Cons...
Layout cer...
Layout Cer...
Existing S...
Dua-Mahfil...
«   »